W Design Studios is a full service interior design, event and lifestyle consulting firm. Let us simplify your life, make it more organized and beautiful.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bookscases, Shelves and Things to Put Things On

I am writing this post especially for my Mom. She has a great little house on the South River near Annapolis were she has lived for about four years. Anyway, she had done a lot of painting and re-painting and put on a sun room addition, but she hasn't gotten down to really adding all of those special touches that make a house a home. I know she wants to have book shelves flanking her fireplace which I think is great! I am always a fan of symmetry, (a product of my slight type A personality, I'm not sure?) so of course I want to help but "styling" a bookshelf takes a certain finesse. I went on a search of interesting ways to dress a bookcase. Books are almost always the main ingredient but not necessarily, using accessories, paintings, collections, and dishes will add variety. Try employing a few of the following techniques to update your look!


Start with a clean slate- take everything off the shelves its easier than trying to work around preexisting conditions. (yikes! too much talk about health care i think)

Chose objects that that relate to each other- a collection of plates, a group of white ceramics.

Whole rows of books look more balanced on the bottom shelves and stacking them in rows from tallest to shortest isn't always the best option. Try stacking them randomly to create a very natural look.



Monochromatic look



I love how they hung a great piece of art on the shelf it adds a whole new dimension



Adding color to the back of the bookcase is a great way to freshen up a boring shelf


If you are like me you could fill your whole shelf with books. Try stacking books to add a different look. Display your "best" books at eye level, I really like large design/art books. Martha Stewart recommends rotating books stacked horizontally to prevent warping of bottom books.


Covered books- I think covering books can look awesome, especially when it helps bring color, or lack of color to your space. However, am I the only one who finds this a bit impractical? I occasionally want to read the books that I have on my bookshelf or at least be able to locate a book to lend to a friend.

Wrapping your books in brown or white craft paper could look really cool and you could label them with your best architectural lettering! Or try this simple Pottery Barn trick and turn your books around to create a more consistent look.



This is so clean and simple!



An interesting display which has a lot of smaller accessories without looking too clutter-y.



Use baskets to conceal unattractive items like dvds or to store blankets


Have fun creating your new look.
Not sure where to start? Call W Design Studios and we can create a great look for you!









2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the blue color on the back of the bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard that taking all the book jackets (you know the ones with the author's mug plastered on the back :) off looks nice. Most hardbacks have very simple, matte bindings which may be more harmonious than all the glossy ones with HUGE letters on the side.

    ReplyDelete